- This event has passed.
Ohio Rural Health Conference: A Systems Approach to Innovation and Performance Excellence
August 28, 2018 @ 2:45 pm - 3:45 pm
A Systems Approach to Innovation and Performance Excellence
Breakout Session Four at the 2018 Ohio Rural Health Conference and Flex Annual Meeting
A systems approach means managing all the components of your organization as a unified whole to achieve your mission, ongoing success, and performance excellence. Successfully managing overall organizational performance requires realization of your organization as a system with interdependent operations. Organization-specific synthesis, alignment, and integration make the system successful.
- Synthesis means looking at your organization as a whole. It incorporates key organizational attributes, including your core competencies, strategic objectives, action plans, work systems, and workforce needs.
- Alignment means using key organizational linkages to ensure consistency of plans, processes, measures, and actions.
- Integration builds on alignment, so that the individual components of your performance management system operate in a fully interconnected, unified, and mutually beneficial manner to deliver anticipated results.
Innovation should be integrated into daily work and be supported by your performance improvement system. Systematic processes for identifying strategic opportunities should reach across your entire organization. Innovation requires a supportive environment, a process for identifying strategic opportunities, and the pursuit of intelligent risks. Innovation and continuous incremental improvement are different, but complementary, concepts. Successful organizations use both approaches to improve performance.
Learn how to:
- Focus on strategic directions and on patients and other customers.
- Use measures, indicators, core competencies, and organizational knowledge to build your key strategies, link these strategies with your work systems and key processes, manage risk, and align your resources to improve your overall performance and your focus on patients, other customers, and stakeholders.
- Make meaningful change to improve your organization’s health care services, programs, processes, operations, health care delivery model, and business model, with the purpose of creating new value for stakeholders.
- Develop a process for identifying strategic opportunities, and the pursuit of intelligent risks.
President & CEO – The Foundation for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
President & CEO – SOAR Vision Group LLC
On July 14th, 2014, Al Faber was named President and CEO of the Baldrige Foundation. The Mission of the Baldrige Foundation is to ensure the long-term financial growth and viability of the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program, and to support organizational performance excellence in the United States and throughout the world. Prior to joining the Foundation, Al served as President & CEO of The Partnership for Excellence (TPE).
Prior to that, Al served in federal & state government culminating in executive positions and leading more than 11,500 employees, with 65 major facilities, a 250 million dollar operating budget and real property exceeding 2.1 billion dollars. Mr. Faber graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Management from Capital University, Columbus, Ohio; and holds a Master of Arts Degree in International Relations from Salve Regina University, Newport, Rhode Island. He was also a National Security Fellow at the J.F.K. School of Government, Harvard University and studied International Leadership & Management at the Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University. He is a graduate of the U.S. Army War College Fellowship program and the U.S. Naval War College Command & Staff Program. Al has served on numerous Boards of Directors for the past two decades. He is a member of the American Society for Quality (ASQ), American Mensa, several conservation organizations, and is active in his church.
Ben Sawyer launched the SOAR Vision Group to help align people with purpose to achieve exceptional results. His expansive business career has included healthcare executive leadership positions, and the successful launch and commercialization of several business enterprises. A Lean black belt, Ben has significant guided strategy deployment experience, having worked with many clients to achieve dramatic, sustainable operational performance improvement outcomes. Ben is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), an avid golfer and tennis competitor, and is active in his local community and church.
Organizational Hierarchy of Needs
Everybody has a playbook. Execution is the challenge. That’s why 7 of 8 companies failed to achieve profitable growth. Any slips or missteps can be disastrous. Let’s talk about your Successful Strategy Execution.